Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Gulmohar in the park...


A chance detour, when at Gulmohar Avenue, my fav haunt at the Univ campus, led me to this park that once was... A once lush green park bustling with kids of all sizes and shapes, resounding with the mad cacophony of the kids chatter and laughter, sadly today, stands barren and in utter neglect... This was the very park where some of my friends spent the best moments of their childhood...
I have memories too, of cycling all the way from Granny's house in Mission compound during my school days, to meet my friends who lived in the staff quarters right opposite this park. I too have memories of having played in this once beautiful park...

I took a walk through the park, that unfortunately today, sports more of weeds and thick brambles, with just a few trees standing as poor reminders of the glorious park that once was...






As I walked ahead I was in for a lovely surprise...
Hey ! What do I spy...?
A bright spot of red at the far end of the park...


On reaching closer, the spot of red at the far end was more than a spot... It was a huge spreading canopy of blazing red...!





It seemed like I'd discovered the magical corner of the park. It was as if I was in the world of Alice in wonderland... As I sat under the tree for a while, it felt as if some mysterious door in the tree trunk would open and some strange creature would beckon me to follow... :)





















After I reluctantly broke myself out of the beautiful reverie and look around, what do I find...?

 



Wow! this brought such strong memories that I stood rooted staring at the rectangular stone layout for minutes at length...

This was one version of "Mani mani/House house" that we played as kids... It was our favourite game during lunch break while at school and we managed to carry it on till the VIII std ! Our layouts though went steps ahead and featured all the rooms of a house. And we even named the houses...

After those few nostalgic moments, it was time to say goodbye to the park that once was and to the stunning gulmohar that now is...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment